Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Twitter Dictionary for the Uninitiated


This weekend, my Mom gave me the surprising news that she joined Twitter. This fact convinces me that Twitter is going mainstream. In honor of this momentous occasion, I decided to post a Twitter dictionary for the uninitiated.


Twitter - Free micro-blogging service. Like your FB status but so much more.
Tweets - Twitter posts
Tweeting - the act of posting a new tweet
Dweets - drunken twitter posts
Tweeple/tweeps - people who use Twitter
Twerps/Twits - not-so-nice way to describe people who tweet
Twitterati - Tweeple with lots of followers
Twitiquette - Twitter etiquette
RT (re-tweet) - reposting someone's tweet
Fail Whale - when the Twitter servers are over capacity, you receive an error message with a photo of a very cute whale.

There seem to be innumerable ways to make up new, amusing twords to describe your activities on Twitter, but I hope these few will help my Mom (and others) get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment